I tell that story because I think it goes hand-in-hand what Rick Steves is trying to say in his new book, Travel as a Political Act (New York: Nation Books, 2009). I was hoping to get one good post out of this book, but I can see that it will spark several more as I read through it.
Steves asserts that through travel we are ambassadors -- and I think he would say that we are ambassadors not only for our nation, but also for our God. The Lord is near, thus we need to remember that everyone we encounter is a beloved child of God. He tells the story in the book's Introduction about coming to understand his parents love for him on a childhood trip and witnessing other children's parents' love for them as well. He called this his "most powerful travel experience:" learning that "[t]his planet is home to billions of equally lovable children of God" (v).
However, it is often easy to miss such powerful travel revelations. All too often, travel makes us aware of our differences. I speak English; the German man on the train speaks German. I wear pants; the English person in H&M wears trousers. My refrigerator is as tall as me; my Welsh friends' refrigerator is only about thirty-six inches tall. But I think, if we look closely, travel is always ready to remind us that we are all united by God's love for us.
So whether I go to Sainsbury's in London or to Whole Foods in Nashville, I can remember that we are all beloved children of God. And because we are all united by God's love, it only seems appropriate to show patience, goodwill, and love to others.
Seems I've already gotten my money's worth from Rick's new book...
No comments:
Post a Comment