23 May 2009

Race Weekend in Europe

This weekend will see the annual running of both the Monaco Grand Prix and Nürburgring 24-Hour. As far as travel goes, two of my dream locations are Monaco and, oddly enough, the Nürburgring. I want to attend the Monaco Grand Prix one day, and I also want to take a lap around Nürburgring Nordschleife.

The race in Nürburg will see the debut of the very exciting Volkswagen Scirocco R as well as the new racing version of Aston Martin's V12 Vantage (which at the moment - hour 5 - sits in 7th place). Endurance racing is definitely worth checking out. Le Mans is coming up June 13-14. An excellent documentary has been produced about Le Mans, featuring the Audi Race Team -- available for free from iTunes through the documentary's website.

The F1 race is, of course, the race in the F1 world. There's all the glitz and glamour that is Monaco. But the main draw for so many is the tradition of the race which goes all the way back to 1929. F1 has been crazy this year with controversy and surprise winners, and I suppose more of the same can be expected; although Jenson Button isn't as strange looking at the top of podiums these days. Perhaps someday I'll get to watch this race in person...

No comments: