07 May 2011

On Death

I have felt compelled to write in light of the news from earlier this week but have refrained because I feared being unreflective and reactionary. Jacques Ellul speaks about how technology creates a disregard for human wisdom, which requires reflection and the passing of knowledge through a society's traditions. This, I think, is the major problem with blogging; instead of taking time to think, we are often tempted into writing and publishing immediately. I still don't know precisely what to say, but I seem to be in company. Perhaps a reverent, lamenting, prayerful silence is the best option for the church in light of the Death-celebration our society has displayed this week. Whatever our response, it cannot be to join in on the celebrations.

Easter is the time when Christians celebrate Christ's victory over Death, and to celebrate the killing of a human being is to say that Christ's resurrection has no power. We are a people freed from the fear of Death -- freed to bear witness to the watching world that Death is defeated. Certainly this defeat extends to even our enemies, who our Lord has commanded us to love. Jesus, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, became flesh and dwelt among us, showing us how to live the life God intends humans to live, and that life is nothing less than self-emptying, enemy love. Jesus suffered and died an unjust death, choosing to love instead of retaliate, to pray instead of curse. And through his suffering, death, and resurrection, we are freed to do the very same. So during Easter, let us commit anew to love without condition because we have all been reconciled through the glorious work of Christ.

Happy Easter. Kyrie Eleison.

No comments: